I consolidated the stories about Fred.

HILL BLOCKS VIEW IS DEAD.

...long live, Hill Blocks View. I miss writing. But the thought of one more round of "welcome backs", or obsessing over stats, or thinking of the clever response to a comment, or the obligation to read everyone else's blog... not so much. So I'll try and write. No pressure. If you feel the need to respond, you can email me. I like email. flipaul@yahoo.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Do Not Have OCD. I Just Like Things To Be A Certain Way.

Yesterday, I was working on a pathway in the front yard, when my wife and mom came home from a walk to find that I had pulled up the cobblestones that I had laid out. My mom asked me why I had pulled them up, and I told her that they weren't spaced right. My wife sniggered and said that it went beyond that; that I have OCD. I don't have OCD. I might have some obsessive compulsive tendencies but that isn't a disorder. She says that it is, because it affects my life negatively. For instance,  I pulled up and relaid the pathway four times. It wasn't OCD, I was just doing a good job.
     I was pissed. I couldn't stop thinking about it. As I finished the path I was thinking about it. As I finished the path again I was thinking about it. As I hung up the tools on the pegboard in their designated spots with the tool outlines I was thinking about it. All of the times I washed my hands for dinner I couldn't stop thinking about it. As I was eating Sunday dinner (two pieces of fried chicken - one leg and one thigh, one scoop of mashed potatoes, one biscuit, 50 peas and a glass of milk at 41 degrees) I couldn't stop thinking about it. While I was watching 60 minutes, and arranging the remotes from longest to shortest I was still thinking about it. As I was doing Sunday night children's books alphabetizing, I couldn't stop thinking about it. For the whole fifteen minutes I was brushing my teeth I was still thinking about it. When I turned out the lights, and crawled into bed, I was thinking about it, as I was when I went and checked the doors to make sure they were locked. All seven times.
     When I woke up at 5:37, I was thinking about it. As I was getting my breakfast (two pieces of toast, one egg over easy, and a glass of OJ at 41 degrees) I was still thinking about it. As I headed out the door to work at exactly 7:15, I couldn't stop thinking about it. When I came back home to make sure the coffee pot was off, I was thinking about it. All day at work, I couldn't stop thinking about it. When I got home I was still thinking about it. I don't have OCD. What the hell is she talking about? While I am blogging this I can't stop thinking about it. Later when I am checking to see how many people have read my blog, I will still be thinking about it. 15 minutes later when I check back (somebody new might have read my blog and maybe commented) I will still be thinking about it. Whatever. That doesn't mean I have OCD. Right?! Right?!